Context of Use Analysis
Collecting and analyzing detailed information about the intended users, their tasks, and the technical and environmental constraints.
The main goals are:
- Ensure that all factors that relate to use of the system are identified before design work starts.
- Provide a basis for designing later usability tests
The context of use analysis involves collecting and analyzing detailed information about:
- The intended users
- Their tasks
- The tools that support the users’ goals
- The physical environment in which a product will be used
- The user’s social and organizational environment
- The technical environment and associated technical constraints
- Other contextual factors that will affect the user experience
This information about context of use is an essential input to the problem definition, product goals, requirements, conceptual design, detailed design, and the planning of other usability methods. Information about the context of use of a product are generally collected early in the product life cycle and then refined as additional data are gathered from usability studies.